Have you ridden a quad bike yet? If you have, you know what a thrilling experience it is to explore hidden trails on this stable dirt bike. You do not need a lot of experience but still you get all the satisfaction of reaching remote places in no time. Even if you are an experienced quad rider, here are some facts you might not have known.
1.In 1893, the first powered quadracycle was built and sold by Royal Enfield, a British cycling company. It was similar to an ATV in a form of a horseless carriage that was intended for road transport.
2. In 1970’s Honda went into the production of trikes and quads that were patterned on their motorbikes.
3. Suzuki is recognized as a leader in the advancement of ATV’s or quads and in 1982 the first ATV (QuadRunner LT125) was sold as a beginner’s recreational vehicle.
4. The first ATV’s were really different from the modern quad bike we have today. Some of them originally came with 6 wheels. They were so bare that these vehicles did not have tail lights until 1998 when they were required to have them. It was not until the HONDA Rubicon was put into production that ATV’s came equipped with GPRS.
5. Honda’s FourTrax TRX350 4X4 ATV introduction in 1986 paved the way for the now popular four wheel drive ATV’s.
6. By the time the 90’s came, people came to discover that ATV’s have the potential of being helpful and powerful work vehicles, since then they were commonly seen on farms. Eventually, golf carts and airport baggage tractors were patterned after the four wheeled bike with modified specifications to serve a special purpose.
7. Quads are classified into three categories, road legal, off-road and utilities. Road legals are the ones that need to be registered and are allowed to be driven on public roads of course with a driver’s license. Off-road quads are the ones used for recreation, farms and other tough terrain activities. Utilities are used for both road and work.
8. Australian Matt Coulter made world record history by performing the longest distance jump on a quad bike. The date was 17 April 200 as he jumped over 14 Honda CRV vehicles with a distance of 134ft.
9. Jon Geutter from Minnesota was the first person to successfully perform a back flip on a four wheeled bike.
10. Parking and maneuvering is easier on a quad at slow speeds. The vehicle’s rear wheels actually move in the opposite direction than that of the front wheels.
You have now had a taste of some interesting facts about this vehicle; now it’s time to experience the real thrill of quad biking. The years of innovation and improvement of these wonderful bikes has resulted to a very popular action adventure sport.